or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SIP Registration process
webmasterdean Offline

SIP Registration process
Hello,
I Am very new to VoIP and i've been playing with Asterisk for some time. I found that understending of SIP can be very confusing.
I ran capture in wireshark to understand SIP registration proces, but now i'm more confused. Sad
I use extension with password and i know that in registration process UA sends REGISTER request, registrar challanges UA with 401 message, UA again sends REGISTER request with username and pass, on which registrar responds with 200 OK message.

But in wireshark i get:

UA -> REGISTER -> REGISTRAR
UA <- 401 <- REGISTRAR
UA <- 401 <- REGISTRAR
UA <- 200 OK <- REGISTRAR

Can someone tell me why i get one more handshake in registration process.

webmaster discussion forum
05-08-2011 08:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nathan Offline

RE: SIP Registration process
\"webmasterdean' pid Wrote:Hello,
I Am very new to VoIP and i've been playing with Asterisk for some time. I found that understending of SIP can be very confusing.
I ran capture in wireshark to understand SIP registration proces, but now i'm more confused. Sad
I use extension with password and i know that in registration process UA sends REGISTER request, registrar challanges UA with 401 message, UA again sends REGISTER request with username and pass, on which registrar responds with 200 OK message.

But in wireshark i get:

UA <- 401 <- REGISTRAR
UA <- 401 <- REGISTRAR
UA <- 200 OK <- REGISTRAR

Can someone tell me why i get one more handshake in registration process.

I'm very new to VOIP as well. I don't understand SIP at all. I am hoping to find a good hosted PBX VOIP provider so that I don't have to deal with SIP at all. Good luck in finding the answers to the registration process!

Looking for a hosted [url=http://www.freedomiq.com]small business voip[/url] solution for my office in the United States.
06-30-2011 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply